July 11, 1991
Here Comes A Song (1992)
"The Wiggles" is the debut album of The Wiggles which was released on July 11, 1991 by ABC Music. This is the only album that has Phillip. It is dedicated to Paul Field's daughter, Bernadette. The Wiggles was the first album. It featured Phillip who was named the fifth wiggle, but shortly after the album was released Wilcher was forced to quit the band.
Background and development
In 1991, while working with the early childhood music department at Macquarie University, Phillip Wilcher met musician and former member of the Australian rock group The Cockroaches, Anthony Field, who was studying child development. According to Wilcher, Field asked him to join The Wiggles, which would become "Australia's foremost children's entertainment act", and to help them produce the album. The album was dedicated to the memory of Paul Field's infant daughter, Bernadette, who had died of SIDS in 1988. Wilcher financed and "contributed the most musically to the debut album", composing 75% of the music. Like a university assignment, they produced a folder of essays that explained the educational value of each song on the album. They needed a keyboardist "to bolster the rock-n-roll feel of the project", so Field asked his old band mate Fatt, for his assistance in what they thought would be a temporary project. Recording sessions were held at Wilcher's home, and the album cost approximately A$4,000 to produce. The group reworked a few Cockroaches tunes to better fit the genre of children's music; for example, according to Field, a Cockroaches song he wrote, "Mr. Wiggles Back in Town" became "Get Ready to Wiggle" and inspired the band's name because they thought that wiggling described the way children dance. There was also a piece by Phillip Wilcher, "Summer Dance", that appeared on the album, as "Archie's Theme".
- "Get Ready to Wiggle" - (J Field*/M Cook/J Fatt/G Page) - 1:54
- "Rock-a-Bye Your Bear" - (A Field/G Page) - 1:46
- "Dorothy the Dinosaur" - (M Cook/J Field*) - 2:21
- "Mischief the Monkey" - (P Wilcher) - 0:42
- "Lavenders Blue" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 1:29
- "Glub Glub Train (Spoken)" - (A Field) - 0:16
- "Archie's Theme" - (P Wilcher) - 0:19
- "Montezuma" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 0:29
- "Archie's Theme (Reprise)" - (P Wilcher) - 0:19
- "Ducky Ducky (Spoken)" - (G Page/A Field) - 0:13
- "A Froggy He Would A-Wooing Go" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 3:36
- "Maranoa Lullaby" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 2:02
- "Stars (Spoken)" - (A Field/P Wilcher) - 0:08
- "Star Lullaby" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 2:02
- "Okki Tokki Unga" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 1:53
- "O Epoe Tooki Tooki" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) 1:34
- "Vini Vini" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 0:58
- "Spot the Dalmatian" - (A Field/J Field*) - 2:22
- "Johnny Works With One Hammer" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 0:48
- "The Man On The Moon (Spoken)" - (P Wilcher) - 0:18
- "This Old Man" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 2:31
- "Suo Gan" - (Trad/Arr: The Wiggles) - 1:43
- "Wind (Spoken)" - (A Field) - 0:14
- "Joseph John's Lullaby" - (Brahms/P Wilcher/Arr: P Wilcher) - 1:14
- "Desert Dreaming (Spoken)" - (A Field/P Wilcher) - 1:49
- "Get Ready to Wiggle (Reprise)" - (J Field*/M Cook/J Fatt/G Page) - 1:54
- Phillip Wilcher: Piano, vocals
- Murray Cook: Guitar, bass guitar, vocals and water bubble sounds
- Gregory Page: Lead vocals, guitar, hand claps
- Jeff Fatt: Accordion, Emax, sequencing, Mischief's voice
- Anthony Field: Tin whistle, didgeridoo, chief Kabasa player
- The Kabasa is a percussion instrument. The player twists a steel ball chain around a cylinder to create the sound. Some of the songs such as Get Ready to Wiggle also use a instrument device called a MIDI
- Phillip Wilcher mentioned that on his YouTube comment, The Wiggles thought one of the songs Vini Vini was renditioned in the public domain, but it was claimed by a French composer.
- Anthony's brother John wrote Get Ready to Wiggle, Dorothy the Dinosaur and Spot the Dalmatian.
- The music from Dorothy the Dinosaur was adapted from It's Another Saturday Night written by John Field, set to lyrics by Murray Cook.
- The lyrics from Get Ready to Wiggle was adapted from Mr. Wiggles Back in Town written by John Field, adapted by Murray Cook, Jeff Fatt, Greg Page and John Field and lyrics rewritten by Greg Page and John Field and also they add dialogue which was written by Murray Cook, Jeff Fatt and Greg Page.
- The music from Archie's Theme was adapted from Summer Dance which was written by Phillip Wilcher.
- Phillip Wilcher wrote Mischief the Monkey and Spoken Recordings (Stars, The Man on the Moon and Desert Dreaming).
- Rock-a-Bye Your Bear was later re-recorded in 1997 for their The Wiggles feature film which was still written by Anthony and Greg but the music was arranged by Murray, Jeff, Anthony and Greg and Get Ready to Wiggle and Dorothy the Dinosaur was later re-recorded in 1998 for their re-recorded version of the Wiggle Time! video which was release in 1993.
- Anthony provides the musical arrangements for this album.
- Two songs Get Ready to Wiggle and Dorothy the Dinosaur were filmed for ABC For Kids Video Hits and ABC For Kids Video Hits Volume 2 videos.
- It is revealed that Greg's first full name is Gregory.
- The Wiggles would like to thank Meg, Russ and Jean Cook, Noram and Oscar Fatt, Kristy, Matthew and Sara, Leanne and Andrew, Joy and Les Wilcher, the Leuver Sisters, Elpis, Don Corlione, Franko and Mitzy, Terence and Janette Page, Odette, Amy, Emma, Luke, and Rebecca Wilcher, all the Fields, Joseph, Luke, Clare, Sofia, Anthony, Leonardo, Jeremy and all the Mental Management and Stella for quality control, Rosemary Harle and all at I.E.C.S., and Diana Manson, Meryl, Jenni, Lynette, Trish, and all at ABC Records.